[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: What is the language "British"?

From: "Mike McCarty" <Mike McCarty sbcglobal net>

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 05 September 2006 12:25, Michael P. Brininstool wrote:

dictionary.com sez basically that fuse is the thing you light to blow
something up and the fuze is an electronic version of same.

And as a C.E.T. of 34 years, and chasing electrons for a living for 57 or so, I have yet to see the hot wire device designed to open a circuit when too much current flows called anything but a fuse, with an 's'. Thats not


saying it couldn't be so spelled in other locales, but here, there's only one way to spell it unless the writer failed spelling.

Then dictionary.com is wrong. A fuze is a device for detonating a
weapon. A fuse is an electrical device. I've been doing electronics
for 40 years, and *never* have encountered the term "fuze" to mean
an electronics component.

Furthermore, I looked in a "real" dictionary, and that's what it

As a precocious kid who has played with electricity and electronics
for over 55 years - "fuse" interrupts electrons or mates objects
together while "fuze" detonates. (A rough check of a '53 ARRL
handbook indicates it figured "fuse" was the object that interrupted
electron flow.)

{^_^}   Joanne (Daddy discovered I could pay attention to his
       instructions and had me doing "stuff" when I was about
       four years old. Then he died and I started doing it ALL
       for myself a couple years later due to impatience with the
       adults around me.)

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]