[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: What is the language "British"?

Grumpy wrote:
On Wednesday 06 September 2006 18:49, William Case wrote:
On Wed, 2006-06-09 at 20:04 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 06 September 2006 15:03, Bob Goodwin wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 05 September 2006 12:25, Michael P. Brininstool wrote:
dictionary.com sez basically that fuse is the thing you light to
blow something up and the fuze is an electronic version of same.
And as a C.E.T. of 34 years, and chasing electrons for a living for
57 or so, I have yet to see the hot wire device designed to open a
circuit when too much current flows called anything but a fuse, with
an 's'.  Thats not

saying it couldn't be so spelled in other locales, but here, there's
only one way to spell it unless the writer failed spelling.
Then dictionary.com is wrong. A fuze is a device for detonating a
weapon. A fuse is an electrical device. I've been doing electronics
for 40 years, and *never* have encountered the term "fuze" to mean
an electronics component.

Furthermore, I looked in a "real" dictionary, and that's what it

*My ancient dictionary, about as fragile as the dead sea scrolls, even
shows pictures of several "fuzes!"  Two have propellers and they
obviously screw into the nose of a projectile/bomb.

"FUZE noun  A mechanical or electrical device that initiates the
explosive charge of a shell, bomb, grenade, etc."

Funk & Wagnalls New College Standard Dictionary  C. 1947
Darn, first braggart hasn't a chance in this company.  My Websters is 11
years newer. :(

Thunderbird Compose spell checker can't deal with Fuze though!
I sympathize with the American posters here who know no better than to
use American toys that call themselves dictionaries.  The OED which is a
real English dictionary does not define fuze directly but simply refers
to fuse.  The definition of fuse(n.) includes something to break an
electrical circuit and something to ignite explosives, so that should
settle it.
I guess that the editors of the OED don't spend much time playing with fireworks.
Regards Bill

I suggest that you look where I believe the term "fuze" originated. It came from electronic designs for "proximity fuzes." Try google
with "proximity fuze" and you will be overwhelmed with articles,
probably more than you care to read but the spelling is fuze in
that case.

Bob Goodwin

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]