Intel Woodcrest Crash under heavy load with FC5 and MySql

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 02:34:58 UTC 2006

On 9/6/06, Albert Graham <agraham at g-b.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It seems posts with debug output don't appear on the fedora list, so
> here is a text file with same.
>
> http://www.g-b.net/crash.txt
>
> Albert.
>

> Albert Graham wrote:
> > Hello all (especially the very technical),
> >
> > I  have been experiencing hardware lockups and crashes under Linux
> > (Fedora Core 5 latest kernel version 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp). The
> > crashes occur under what appears to be very heavy disk access and
> > possibly multiple concurrent access (i.e. multiple threads).
> >
> > I experience crashes using Mysql (MySQL-server-4.1.21-0.glibc23)
> > latest 4.1 stable. In this case we also have multiple threads
> > generating a database of approx 13-30G in size or a period of about 18
> > hours.
>
> --

Hi Albert Graham!

I do not know that I make the cut of "highly technical" but when I
hear "fail under heavy load" I first think of heat.  It might be
interesting to make a little chron job which simply logs CPU and MB
temps every minute or so.  Maybe check the sink (well seated??).

I am in the process of making a little script to snap a picture of
what is going on in /var/log (and many parts of the machine as well).
I will post here when done if it still seems appropriate.

For the truly dedicated to knowing "WHY?" The Linux a crash dump kit:

# One of many!
http://lkcd.sourceforge.net/

Good Hunting!

Tod