How to record traffic between Evolution and POP Server

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Sep 7 04:32:57 UTC 2006

Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:

>I'm having weird problems between my Evolution email client and my ISP's
>POP server.  Evolution says it can't receive a particular message; the
>problem is:
>        Cannot get message ALwwvs4AAB//RP55HQdLMjcw/zI: Input/output
>        error
>always with the same message ID.  The ISP (ATT) says there's nothing in
>my inbox on the POP server.  I'd like to get some more info on what's
>going on.
>
>How can I get Evolution to record its interactions with the POP server.
>Is there some environment variable or invocation option that will get
>Evolution to do this?
>
>Thanks - jon

If ATT offers a web-mail interface, you might try that and see what, if
anything, is in your inbox.  This will allow you to determine whether
the problem is on the ATT side or your side of the interface.  If their
web-mail has the same problem, their tech support should be more
amenable to looking into it and, hopefully, fixing it.  If nothing is
there, the problem is on your end and Evolution apparently thinks that
something is there and is attempting to fetch it anyway.  Your "inbox"
is just a text file so you *may* be able to just delete the invalid
reference (use vi and do a search on the message ID).

I'd be really surprised if this is a protocol issue and you need to
sniff packets to debug the problem.  One other approach to try is to use
another local client such as Thunderbird or Mozilla Mail and see if a
different local e-mail client has the same problem.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce