Re: Linux Security

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 07:51 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I advised my family to buy XP Pro rather than Home, thinking this would make
> the difference, but it doesn't.  There's still only User, totally
> locked-down, and Administrator, totally open.
>
> I've been told that it's possible to force XP to allow limited rights as in
> W2K, but no-one has told me how to do it, and I haven't discovered it.

You will want to be careful if you want to use only accounts with
restricted rights. Some applications will only work as Administrator,
and if your user's computer needs to join a NT or Active Directory
domain, sometimes you need to assign Administrator rights to a normal
user so that things like Antivirus updates or patches can be pushed to
them when they logon.

With Windows systems, there is nothing quite like having technicians or
engineers on-call 24/7. And a set of spare laptops/desktops just in
case.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym cymulacrum net

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur