Debian seems to have forked cdrtools

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Sep 7 19:17:03 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 17:58, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 07 September 2006 07:44, Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> That doesn't seem to want to work here, Nigel.  It takes a second
> >> keystroke after the first o which has no response, but the second o,
> >> while still holding the left alt+left-shift+:, spits out a single
> >> uppercase O.  And in kmails composer, that keystroke combo opens the
> >> 'options' menu in the composer.
> >>
> >> I miss my old amiga, it had a valid character for almost any keyboard
> >> combo you could think of.
> >
> >Gene. It's the Right Alt you need to use. On my keyboard this is labelled
> >"Alt Gr" .  But carefull about the sequence of the keys.  I'd initially
> > tried the combination out in Gedit, and here it doesn't matter if you
> > press the Right Alt, and the Shift key at the same time, but in Kmails
> > composer I've found you need to press them sequentially.  You need 3
> > hands for this by the way!  So the sequence is. Right Alt, then add the
> > Shift, then holding both keys down click on the Colon (just once, as if
> > you click on it twice you'll see the umlaut, and will have to start
> > again).  Right. You've clicked on the Colon.  Now release the Right Alt,
> > and the Shift, and click on the "o" , and you should have an ö.
>
> Nope, not here, I get an o. For a rt-alt,rt-shift,: then release all and
> type the o, gets a plain o.  Is this a function of dead-keys maybe?  But
> I've not found where thats configured here.  No diff if I switch it back
> to US from international either.  Or do I need to restart X for that
> change to be effected?

Yeh. It uses deadkeys, and no you don't need to restart X

> Ahh, I found it!  In control center, expand regional and accessability,
> click on keyboard layout, Xkb submenu tab on the right, pull down to 3rd
> level listings near bottom of list, enable the alt keys to choose 3rd
> level, and it works.  Whyinhell wasn't that a default setting?
Odd that, because I looked at Xkb submenu tab, and nothings checked there, and
yet the level 3 keys work ok. Thats on KDE 3.2.2-14.FC2.2.legacy
> Boggles
> the mind. And, why has the dbl-quote(") now disappeared unless I follow
> that multikey proceedure?
That's really annoying. Right alt plus shift, then the single quote key gets
me a double quote, and right alt plus the single quote key gets me a single
quote. My single quote key is 2nd to the left of the 2 lower keys next to the
carriage return key.
> Its a level 0 character damnit, utc=0022. And
> the single-quote('), commonly used for an apostiphe, code 0027, can only
> be typed into the clipboard by KCharSelect and then pasted as I had to do
> above.   This is not at all satisfying.  Also, while I have the scroll
> lock led set to show alt group, its not working.  And hitting the single
> quote twice now gets me an apostiphe (´)
I don't think that's an apostrophe, I think it's a dead key for a french
accent "é", and damn it, i'm changing keyboard layouts here to write all this
stuff like they're going out of fashion. I'm on the GB one, then the CA one,
then the US one. Perhaps I should add the DE (german) one, and that will have
the problem solved, apart from it's "qwertz" rather than "qwerty" layout. 2
more key changes, and probably a bunch of other stuff.
> Ok, turn all that stuff back off
> and switch to a 105 key international layout, and I still can't do the
> umlauts except by copy-paste from the selector.  Grrrrr.
>
> Now I´ve spent another half an hour screwing around with what should be a
> simple setting.  Screw it, back to square one for all settings.  And no
> single quote is available now.  None.  How can I get that back?  Restart X
> maybe?  I´m truely lost here folks.

Now listen. I've been on the wikipedia this afternoon, looking at keyboard
layouts. If we think we have problems, I don't think I'd like using the
Chinese one.

You could omit the umlaut, and spell his name Joerg, which produces the same
sound as Jörg, but I don't think this the right thing to do with peoples
names.

To change the subject and go a bit OT, I havn't seen any of your reminiscences
of the past lately. One that I wanted to mention a while back was from the
60's. I left school at 15, and wanted to be an electrical engineer. Nothing
going there in Jersey in the Channel Islands, but my headmaster because I was
good at metalwork, got me a job as apprentice plumber with a friend of his. I
still wanted to get into doing electrical stuff, as I had friends who
repaired radios, and so on. I was only in the plumbing trade for a few weeks
as I was still trying to get into the electrical trade, and eventually got a
job as apprentice electrician. I'm not knocking the plumbing, as I learned a
lot in those few weeks. One year or so later in the electrical trade, and I
was a bit disappointed. A bit of electrical work, but mostly cutting cable
runs down concrete block walls with a cold chisel, or Kango hammer. this
wasn't really what I wanted to do.  Looking about for something else I got a
job, and this is at 16 years of age, doing the stage lighting for a local
hotel's cabaret. The lighting control panel was made by Strand Lighting, and
there was a rack of saturable reactors in the room opposite the lighting
booth that controlled the dimming of the spots. Oh yes. Backstage was some
fluorescent light dimming stuff. the only colour I really got working was the
green, when the showband that was playing did Danny Boy. I think the
fluorescent dimming stuff was originally supposed to sequence through
different colours, but no longer worked, that is, if it had ever worked.

Right the summer season finished, and a few weeks later I was asked if I
wanted to help out on the lighting at the Opera House, also owned by the same
guy as the hotel. we're going back in time now because the lighting was still
Strand, but ancient. this was built in cast iron. Triacs, Thyristors, no
chance, way into the future. Even the saturable reactors at the hotel were
way more advanced. These were rheostats. Cast iron wheels controlling the
rheostats to bring down the house lights, and everything on the very large
scale. This was for a Spanish Ballet production, and there were some very
nice girls in it, but being shy, very reserved, and it doesn't help if you
can't speak Spanish, never got anywhere with the cast.

Some weeks after the Spanish Ballet had finished, I got asked to run the spots
(limes) for the winter pantomime, which was "Aladdin". this is where the
lighting stuff gets interesting. There were 2 carbon arc spots supplied by a
huge rectifier restrained in a metal cage. this contained 2 glass mercury
pool rectifiers, which were IIRC about 15" in diameter. These had to be
ancient, even in the 60's. I can't remember if they were from Strand
Lighting. I don't think they were. When the spots were drawing current from
these rectifiers was truly an amazing sight, like something out of Victor
Franstein's laboratory. Seeing electricity dancing off the mercury pool
inside of this glass globe was an incredible sight. have you ever seen
anything like that?

Then I screwed up my life in lighting. We had a party when the pantomime had
run to it's completion. As I was in charge, and hadn't cleaned up the room
from our fag (cigarette) packets, etc, I got the blame from the boss,
insulted him, like some stupid 16 year old might do, and lost out on what
might have been an interesting career. If only we could turn back the clock,
apologise for not having done something that we should have done, and agree
to get it sorted.  I did apologise to him some time later, but it's too late
then. the damage is done. The stupidity of youth eh!

Nigel.