HP printer accessible from WindowsXP when using FC5 ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Thu Sep 7 19:33:03 UTC 2006

James, thanks for the quick reply;

On Thu, 2006-07-09 at 19:30 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > I have an HP printer running successfully on my downstairs Linux OS
> > (FC5); it also runs on my dual booted WindowsXP downstairs. However. I
> > can't seem to get the network configuration right so that the upstairs
> > computer, exclusively WindowsXP (my wife's), can find my downstairs HP
> > when I am in Linux. WindowsXP (upstairs) to WindowsXP (downstairs)
> > prints fine.
>
> In this situation, I'd recommend sharing the printer through Samba. I've
> got a very similar situation set up where the printer is shared with the
> same name under Windows and Linux, the computer has the same NetBIOS
> name in either OS, and the same user name and password are used. In this
> case, *my* wife doesn't have to know which OS I'm booted into -- it
> works the same either way.

I tried Samba.  That is what took up most of my day yesterday.  I didn't
mention it in my post because I got it so screwed up.  To set it up as
you suggest, what information do I need, keeping in mind that I do have
the home network working for Windows.  Normally I would just go to my
manuals and experiment a bit.  But I got to tell you, at the moment me
and Linux are rapidly losing household points.  I have only a few more
times left that I can bounce her off her computer while I 'fix' the
printer.

These are double checking questions.  I am pretty sure I know the
answers but I don't want to check twice: What is the NetBios name? Or,
where do I find it in her WindowsXP? Where would I check what the user
name and password are?  I was hoping to use anonymous or guest.

> Out of interest, which printer -- I'm using an old workhorse LaserJet 4.

I am using an HP psc 1315 all-in-one.  It is a cheap but a very good
machine -- though ink costs as much as the latest prices for the
printer.  I had a LaserJet 4 for years.  I agree; it is a workhorse.
The only way you can make them break down is with a hammer.

--
Regards Bill