FC5 Screensavers

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Sep 8 02:08:42 UTC 2006

Aaron Gray wrote:
> I have both xscreensaver-gl-extras and xscreensaver installed but cannot
> see them in the screensaver preferences dialog :(
The two newly introduced gss programs mentioned in an early posting
might help display all of the installed screensavers. I upgraded to the
updates-testing version that are upgraded versions as of recently.

The gnome-screensaver program unchecks the xscreensaver-demo choice on
the menu. In order to get the xscreensaver to appear on the menu, you
need to right click on any of the three submenus while you hover over
the menu bar. When you select "Edit Menus" there will be a preferences
heading in the left panel for the menu editor. In the right panel with
preferences selected in the left panel, there will be an icon for
xscreensaver with a tv screen with a flame and a lock as content. This
is the xscreensaver menu that was hidden because of gnome-screensaver
being the default. After you select the checkmark, you should see this
selection under system > preferences > screensaver (with the flame). You
will be prompted to start the daemon for xscreensaver. From there, you
should be able to customize your xscreensaver menu.

Regarding gnome-screensaver and the improvements, I did not like the all
random, one selection or blank screen limitation. The hack does make it
more appealing, but the inability of not being able to unselect various
screensavers from the available screensavers is still a major regression
in my view.

Jim
--
"I may appear to be just sitting here like a bucket of tapioca, but don't
let appearances fool you.  I'm approaching old age ... at the speed of