Re: nic + detecting the presence of a carrier

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 18:32, Chris Mohler wrote:

I can't resist any longer: wouldn't it be easier to just leave the NIC
plugged in?

If your laptop is plugged in at work and you'd like to take it
home, you might need a long wire.

I get back to my comment about network manager. On my laptop under FC4, when I plug the network in, I get an icon indicating that it is a wired network. I disconnect the cable, the icon disappears.

--
Robin Laing