Re: New Graphics Card--X won't load kernel module

On 9/8/06, Dylan Semler <dylan semler gmail com> wrote:
On 9/8/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10 charter net> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 20:09 -0400, Dylan Semler wrote:
> I just upgraded my graphics card.  At the same time I decided to
> re-install all of the nvidia drivers I have and switch from the atrpms
> versions to the livna ones.  Upon trying to boot X, I get the
> follwoing error (among others):
>
> FATAL: Module nvidia_1_0_8756 not found
>
> It seems like it's trying to load the old kernel module (the atrms
> one).  I've got the livna driver and kernel module installed:

It turned out that there was old atrms info in the modprobe.conf.  There also happened to be a handy modprobe.conf.backup-nvidia-glx which had the appropriate livna modprobe.conf adjustments.  I made the intuitive changes to modprobe.conf based on the livna file and now everything works.

Cheers,
Dylan