Watching CNN video [FC5]???

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Sep 9 12:20:51 UTC 2006

On Saturday September 09 2006 1:14 am, Ric Moore wrote:
> It must be on their end... it cycles looking for a server open and does
> connect when it gets one... I don't think it is mplayer, as it does
> connect if you wait a bit. Sometimes it gets it immediately. I think
> that indicates the app is good, the site is busy. that's my two cents,

I think I disagree. I've actually been testing this, though it's not so
scientific. Sometimes. my configuration connects right up, and video is
played in moments. But, that's rare. Most of the time, there seems to be a
process of repeated attempts to connect, over and over, sometimes for
minutes, before it connects. I've theorized about different packaging of
mplayer/mplayerplug-in being the culprit, and have tried both the Livna, the
ones from the mplayerplug-in website, and one's from Blag. Sometimes, matters
seem to improve, but then an update comes along, and it reverts. What I have
noticed, repeatedly, is that when I'm in one of those endless loops of
attempting to connect from Linux, I can usually turn to my adjacent Windows
box and connect right away. I'm still trying to figure out the issue; on my
other Linux distros, I don't seem to have the issue - PCLinuxOS comes
configured to work right from installation, and it seems to connect right up;
same with MEPIS, which mplayer/mplayerplug-in/codecs install I have to do
myself - it's only the Fedora boxes where I have this problem. Once I
connect, it works well, and sometimes, I seem to get the right combo of
packages, and that works - on one Fedora box, I have set the
mplayer/mplayerplug-in packages to be exempt from updates, but, I don't
really like to have to operate that way - so I keep fooling with this when I
have time, to see if I can track down where the issue is, and for the moment,
I'm fairly convinced that there is some issue...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA