UPS ON RS-232 (+) CLOSE TO SUICIDE !!

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Sep 9 18:47:24 UTC 2006

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Tod Merley wrote:

> On 9/9/06, SERGIE <sgau2006 at yandex.ru> wrote:
>> Please help - spent a week 24hr/day, no results. Wouldn't not want anyone
>> me
>> to suicide? I got fc5.
>>
>> Windows detects the UPS with no problems, with out any additional settings.
>> On
>> unix, I use /dev/ttyS0 (this is 100% correct, since windows is run on
>> virtual
>> machine on the unix box).
>>
>> So, when I try to use the same software from developer (IPPON, Model Back
>> Power 500 - "DUMB" UPS), written on Java and works and looks the same as in
>> windows, it can not detect the UPS (does no see anything) on the
>> /dev/ttyS0,
>> on which windows within vmware detected it no problem.
>>
>> I reckon I gotta set up some stop bits, parity and speed on the port.
>>
>> "setserial" is no longer widely used, to I think "stty" is what I need.
>>
>> THE QUESTION: what and how do I set up the device so that programs
>> (apcupsd,
>> nut, vendor's software). And am I on the right way?
>>
>> Some comments:
>> * /dev/ttyS0 is rw under the id I work. root's execution does not help
>> either.
>> * kermit with 9600 connects and nothing received or echoed back.
>> * Whilst running programs under unix, /dev/ttyS0 is vacant.
>>
>> Appreciate your help.
>>
>> SERGIE.
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi SERGIE!
>
> Ah RS232!
>
> Most of the time I have seen people using RS232 to connect a UPS to a
> computer they were simply using one or two of the "control Signals"
> such as "Request To Send (RTS)" or "Clear To Send (CTS)" to
> communicate to the computer that the UPS was on battery power or going
> down shortly!

The APC ups's generally use more than that. You can actually send commands
to them to run self tests, calibrate the batteries, shut them down, etc.

Obviously the command set varies depending on the model of UPS but the ones
I have experience with use tx and rx and some of the control lines. In addition
when used with the correct cable they "just work".

> Often my "best friend" in the troubleshooting process was a volt ohm
> meter (checking the voltage for establishing the state and level of
> one of the control signals, or seeing the data make the level "jump"
> if looking at one of the data signals"

A break out box will tell you a whole lot more info. If you are interested
you can make one with a few tri color leds, some 1K resistors and a couple
db 9 or 25 connectors.

Regards,

Tom