P2P over wireless LAN

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Sep 9 22:08:40 UTC 2006

Thufir wrote:
> My neighbor and I both wirelessly connect to the same router (802.11b).
> I'm just getting into filesharing, while my neighbor, I suspect, has tons
> of files.  I want those files :)
>
> Limewire works fine.  I've never been able to configure azureus properly,
> and I believe that the sysadmin has disabled various ports to prevent
> filesharing (or at least limit it).
>
> If my neighbor and I run the same P2P software, such as limewire, and I
> connect to my neighbors computer, that's not going to be a direct line
> from my box to the router to my neighbors box, is it?
>
> thanks,
>
> Thufir

Yes, the data transfer will go directly from one computer, through
the router, and to the other computer. That is the idea behind P2P
software. (Point to Point) You get the parts of the file you are
downloading directly from the sending computer, and the parts
someone else is getting from you come directly from you computer.
This is why the firewall has to be set up to properly handle the
incoming connections for the software you are using. With a setup
like yours, where you are using a router, it gets more interesting
because the router has to know what computer to forward the
connection to. Depending on the software and router you are using,
the software may be able to set this up for you, you you may have to
set it up manually on the router. Check the help files or the home
page of the software you are using for help on this, as well as a
more detailed explanation of how it works.

Mikkel