QEMU no cdrom ?

Is the cdrom drive supposed to be available when qemu starts the guest
OS or do I need to use a(n) switch/option to make the cdrom drive
work in the guest OS?  The quest is started and there is an icon for
a cdrom but there does not seem to be any connection to either of my
physical cdrom drives.

I have looked at or searched with these and can't find any answers.
If the answer is here I don't see or don't understand what it is.

man qemu

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/user-doc.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU

Google