BASH question

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Sep 10 01:59:09 UTC 2006

On 09Sep2006 18:20, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
| Look all this information is interesting. And indeed there have been
| cpu-s that were capable of fixed point arithmetic. Pentiums are not
| among them. I have not seen the source code for either bc or dc but I
| doubt if they implement a form of fixed point arithmetic. It would be
| possible to do this but it is an awful lot of trouble for something that
| can be done in floating point arithmetic and then displayed with the
| appropriate precision.

Dc is for _arbitrary_ precision arithmetic. Floating point doesn't do
that. Neither does the limited size integer registers in the CPU.
_Egro_, it does its own math.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Because of its special customs, crossposting between alt.peeves and normal
newsgroups is discouraged.      - Cameron Spitzer