screen resolution

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 05:00:38 UTC 2006

On 9/9/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 11:05 -0400, Dylan Semler wrote:
> > On 9/9/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >         On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 02:28 +0100, Thufir wrote:
> >         > I'm just starting to research screen resolution.  I want to
> >         safely
> >         > increase my screen resolution, but first need to make notes
> >         on how to
> >         > recover, via the fedora rescue CD, in the event things go
> >         wrong.
> >         >
> >         > At this point I'm just thinking aloud, but please do chime
> >         in!  :)
> >
> >         Once again I am confused. The way I change screen resolution
> >         is:
> >         1. switch to a terminal [crl-alt-F1]
> >         2. change to init level 3 [ init 3]
> >         3. Use : system-config-display to change resolution [it will
> >         adjust
> >         xorg.conf]
> >         4. Change back to init level 5 [init 5]
> >
> > The screen resolution options available in system-config-display are
> > determined by what's in your xorg.conf.  If your xorg.conf isn't
> > properly set up then you won't be able to use that utility to change
> > to your desired resolution without making some changes to xorg.conf.
> >
> > Also, for a one-liner for changing screen resolutions without leaving
> > x, check out xrandr (which has the same limitation as
> > system-config-display I mentioned above)
> >
> As far as I know the only thing that affects screen resolution that
> cannot be done with in system-config-display is the video card
> identification. But as always I am willing to learn something new.

Well now I'm not sure at all.  I just checked my system-config-display and
the only resolutions available are 640x480 and 800x600.  Considering I'm
running my laptop screen at 1920x1200 looks like we're both wrong.  But i'd
put my confidence in what's in the xorg.conf file rather than what
system-config-display says.

Cheers,
Dylan