xsane-0.991-1.fc5

joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Sun Sep 10 09:24:34 UTC 2006

having problems with my CANON LIDE30 USB scanner since the
last xsane update: If calling xsane as normal user, it
dies:

insmod: can't read
'/lib/modules/2.6.17.11/kernel/drivers/mfpportctrl/mfpport.ko':
No such file or directory
Segmentation fault

strace is attached.

If running as root, getting

insmod: can't read
'/lib/modules/2.6.17.11/kernel/drivers/mfpportctrl/mfpport.ko':
No such file or directory

but it doesn't die, and scanning is possible,

I'm running FC5 together with kernel-2.67.17.11 from
kernel.org.

The previous xsane was running perfectly.

sane-find-scanner:

---------------------------snip
-------------------------------------
   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your
scanner. If the
   # result is different from what you expected, first
make sure your
   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your
computer.

   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something
different, make sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI
adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220e
[CanoScan], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:003:002
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or
may not be supported by
   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's
manpage.

   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other
proprietary ports
   # can't be detected by this program.

   # You may want to run this program as root to find all
devices. Once you
   # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access
permissions as
   # necessary.

Did somebody make similar experciences?

Any comment welcome.

Regards

Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany
Phone: +49-631-205-2438, FAX: +49-631-205-3056
http://hlrwm.rhrk.uni-kl.de/home/staff/backes.html