Ethernet bridge

I seem to have run into a problem setting up an ether net bridge.  The
bridge survives a re boot, but during the reboot I am informed
"ne2k-pci device eth3 does not seem to be present delaying
initialization".
As I understand it I am missing a module.  If this is the case my
modprobe -v ne2k-pci made no difference to the problem