screen resolution

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 21:09:43 UTC 2006

On 9/10/06, Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote:

> Most good graphics drivers will ignore the settings for resolution in
> xorg.conf, and query the monitor itself.  Check your /var/log/Xorg.log.0
> file and search for 1920z1200.  You will see that it set the default by
> itself.

Well this wasn't the case at least as recently as fc3 or 4.  I had been
running in 4:3 mode for a while as none of the guis had generic lcd screens
for widescreen resulotion.  It wasn't until i finilaly figured out the
xorg.conf stuff that I was able to use widescreen.

However, for monitors that don't identify themselves, user
> system-config-display to set the monitor type, then go back to the
> resolution tab and all your available screen resolutions will be
> displayed as options.

Yup, now that widescreen options are available as well.

To further muddy the waters, most monitors will get picked up correctly
> by anaconda, but then NOT picked up correctly by the first default run
> of system-config-display.  You will notice the monitor identification by
> anaconda during the install as stage2 loads.
>
> So, if system config-display doesn't get it right, simply identify your
> monitor, then select resolution, then save and log out to restart X.
> Easy, but should not be necessary, I totally agree.
>
> For laptops and almost all LCD displays, the default settings for LDC
> Panel NNNNxNNNN will work just fine.  No need to dig through the long
> list.
>
> That is because resolution is based upon horizontal and vertical
> frequencies, and almost all LCDs run at 60HZ anyways.
>
> Some newer LCDs can run at 70-76HZ, so check on the net before taking my
> word for it.
> see: http://www.ephaseone.com/product.asp?PID=MONCTXS700B
>
> Even so, Identifying the monitor to system-config-display has only the
> effect of making more resolutions available to choose from on the list,
> but all LCDs should be run at max resolution in any case.  (IMNSHO)
>
> See my other reply to Aaron Konstam.  I am not having any problems with my
display.

Cheers,
Dylan