Sendmail 'Too many connections' problem

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun Sep 10 21:49:12 UTC 2006

I run sendmail-8.13.8 at home to host my domain. Some domains will not
accept mail from me because my address is from a dynamic address pool so I
solved that problem by placing all of those domains in my mailertable and
now route those messages through my ISP(RCN). Recently I have noticed that
some of the mail is hanging for a while with 400 series messages saying
'Too many connections'. I checked with RCN and after many wasted hours on
hold I found out that I need to limit the maximum number of connections to
their SMTP server to 4. Four shall be the counting. Five is too many and
six is right out!

Can someone please tell me what the incantation is to limit the number of
simultaneous connections to a particular server? I'm not looking to limit
incoming conncetions. I'm not looking to limit the rate of incoming or
outgoing connections. I just want to set the max nr of connections from me
to RCN to no more than four.

TIA.