how to send an e-mail --- (a problem!)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Sep 11 18:40:08 UTC 2006

SERGIE schrieb:

>Guys,
>
>using
>echo hello | sendmail -s test john.black at vpnmail.ru fails. It stays

Where did you got that command line from?

>in /var/spool/mqueue or /var/spool/clientmqueue with DERIVED status.

Former is the daemon's mail queue, last the submission mail queue.

date | mail -s "this is a test" recipient at otherdomain.tld

And read your /var/log/maillog to see what happens.

>How do I send a simple e-mail? sendmail is too complicated. Is there anything
>else (exim and postfix I tried and cried...)

What does the MTA have to do with client side mail sending? - Normally
done by using a MUA, like mail, nail, mutt, pine ... or a GUI one like
evolution or thunderbird.

Alexander