FC5 system lockup with video display frozen

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Sep 11 21:57:48 UTC 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I've seen more posts about frozen systems in the past 2 weeks, and I
> could use any help/ideas you have.
>
> I have two FC5 Dell desktop optiplex GX270 systems and both, possibly
> co-incidentally, started locking up and crashing about 2 weeks ago.
> These have a lot in common, but they were not purchased at the same
> time and so they don't have the same MOBO.  Both have software raid,
> usb keyboards and mice, nvidia 5200FX cards.

I had a similar problem that you describe with a GX270 awhile back. The
problem was on a system with an integrated Intel 865G video.

The server crashed and displayed whatever was happening at the time ther
X server crashed. No X server processes were reported when I ssh'ed into
the box. You could also ctl-alt-Fn to a terminal, supply your login and
password and reboot the system, copy logs and whatever you can do
without a working display.

The bug has not effected me for a long time now. nobody fixed the bug
intentionally. It was fixed when the Intel 810 driver was patched to
accommodate dual-head for the Intel 830 graphics.

I think that it is related to the Nvidia driver or some odd
characteristic of the GX270 motherboard which might be triggered by the
changes.
I do not have problems presently with the GX270 which I currently use.
It uses a PS2 mouse and keyboard and not USB devices. One thing about
Dell and the GX270 MB, it uses the same number for many different
variations. Good luck pinning down the problem.

Jim
--
'Martyrdom' is the only way a person can become famous without ability.
		-- George Bernard Shaw