block root access to NFS mount

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Sep 11 23:03:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 14:28 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Okay, here's a problem I'm running in to.  I have an NFS server that is
> controlled via NIS for which hosts access the NFS mounts.  I need to
> give root access to an NFS client host machine, but /not/ the NFS
> mounts.  Is there any way at all to control this, other than making the
> NFS mounts read only?
>
> (Yeah I know it's a strange question, but time is pressing and I don't
> have enough of it to google.)  Any help would be appreciated.

By default NFS maps root to nobody.  Only if the no_root_squash option
is used when exported does root from the client have root privileges on
the nfs filesystem.

Often this also means that root may not even access the nfs filesystem
at all.

HTH
"man exports" will give more info, specifically in in the User ID
Mapping section.