mdadm hot remove failed

Can someone tell me why I am unable to successfully break my mirrored drive. I am unable to find out what is making my device to busy to break the drive. I just get the following error message when attempting a mdadm --remove ...  prior to that, I did a mdadm --fail ...

mdadm: hot remove failed for /dev/hdb1: Device or resource busy

--
mB.