DNS problem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Sep 13 10:09:39 UTC 2006

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've a DNS behaviour I don't understand.
>

> 1/ I've a DNS server which resolves mydomain.com and some aliases :
> server.mydomain.com (the alias is put in the zone file like this   :
> SERVER    A   the_ip)
> 2/ from the DNS server,all is right : dig mydomain.com and dig
> server.domain.com give the good informations
> 3/ from a computer somewhere on the internet, a dig mydomain.com give
> the Ip address of the server, but server.mydomain.com can't be resolved.
>
> The only way to have resolutions is to give the ip address of my server
> as the primary dns of the internet connexion, but unfortenaly, I can't
> ask all people of the world to do this.....
>
> Can somebody help me ?

If you replace all of the "SERVER", "mydomain.com" etc. names with their
real values, you'll probably get a response telling you what the problem is.

In general, CNAME records are used for aliases but there are certain
cases where you need to use an A record (e.g. where the name is to be
used for email).

Paul.