OT: Inundated with bogus(?) warnings I'm infected

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 13 10:33:21 UTC 2006

I'm getting inundated (like a few tens of e-mails a day) with
messages claiming that my machine has been identified as sending
a multitude of messages and is likely to be infected, or that
some e-mail I don't recognize was undeliverable. Both of them
recommend that I follow the attached instructions.

The attachment is a .zip which unpacks to a file named

text.doc                                      .scr

(many more spaces in the name than I put). For some of these,
I've managed to ascertain that they are actually Windows
executables. Sometimes my ISP warns me that the attachment
contains the W32.Mydoom.M at mm virus, and the content was
removed (in which case the .zip is 0 bytes). Other times
the "virus protection" was unavailable, and I am warned
that it wasn't run, and those are the ones I've looked
at.

Would someone please help me in interpreting the headers
from these messages so I can ascertain where they originate,
and possibly get someone (who I presume is infected) either
cleaned or shut down?

Thanks very much for your time.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.