OT: Inundated with bogus(?) warnings I'm infected

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Sep 13 10:37:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 05:33:21AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I'm getting inundated (like a few tens of e-mails a day) with
> messages claiming that my machine has been identified as sending
> a multitude of messages and is likely to be infected, or that
> some e-mail I don't recognize was undeliverable. Both of them
> recommend that I follow the attached instructions.
>
> The attachment is a .zip which unpacks to a file named
>
> text.doc                                      .scr
>
> (many more spaces in the name than I put). For some of these,
> I've managed to ascertain that they are actually Windows
> executables. Sometimes my ISP warns me that the attachment
> contains the W32.Mydoom.M at mm virus, and the content was
> removed (in which case the .zip is 0 bytes). Other times
> the "virus protection" was unavailable, and I am warned
> that it wasn't run, and those are the ones I've looked
> at.
>
> Would someone please help me in interpreting the headers
> from these messages so I can ascertain where they originate,
> and possibly get someone (who I presume is infected) either
> cleaned or shut down?
>
> Thanks very much for your time.

Mike:

I dunno where they come from, but I get tons of 'em too. They're
clearly some kind of spam, I presume them to be a phishing scheme,
though it could just be a virus laden piece of crapware.

My spam filter (spambayes) does an excellent job of filtering out
all that junk so I never see them anywhere except in the spam (or
unsure) folder.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?