DNS problem

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Sep 13 13:47:11 UTC 2006

Luc MAIGNAN <luc.maignan at winxpert.com> wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>I've a DNS behaviour I don't understand.
>

>1/ I've a DNS server which resolves mydomain.com and some aliases :
>server.mydomain.com (the alias is put in the zone file like this   :
>SERVER    A   the_ip)
>2/ from the DNS server,all is right : dig mydomain.com and dig
>server.domain.com give the good informations
>3/ from a computer somewhere on the internet, a dig mydomain.com give
>the Ip address of the server, but server.mydomain.com can't be resolved.
>
>The only way to have resolutions is to give the ip address of my server
>as the primary dns of the internet connexion, but unfortenaly, I can't
>ask all people of the world to do this.....
>
>Can somebody help me ?
>
>Very best regards

Check /etc/named.conf.  It sounds like you have the default file that
only allows queries from the local system.  I was "off the air" for most
of a day when I installed the last bind update because of this.  My
named.conf got replaced with the default and I had the same symptoms.
The new one *should* have been installed as .rpmnew so the files could
get merged without taking people down.  Grrrr.

If you can't find a reference on the 'net for configuring named.conf,
drop a private e-mail to me and I'll ship a copy of what I use your way.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce