CD/DVD Verify

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 16:32:02 UTC 2006

Brad,

> I *believe* what a lot of verification processes do (like checking the
> CD/DVD when you install various Linux flavors) is it actually holds
> checksums of the important files that it burned, and then mounts the CD
> and computes and compare those checksums to make sure they match up.

OK, that would imply that I do need to mount the burned media and compare
the individual contents.

> Or maybe you could compute the checksum on the ISO and then compare it
> to the CD?

I get media errors trying to simply access the device.

   # md5sum -b /dev/cdrom

   hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
   hdc: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
   ide: failed opcode was: unknown
   end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1760
   printk: 12 messages suppressed.
   Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 220

   <this then repeats for section 1768, block 221, 1776/222 and so on>

Any ideas ?

Jonathan