Red Hat Users Invited To Test RHEL 5

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 13 21:03:00 UTC 2006

taharka wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 15:07 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
>
>> taharka wrote:
>>> How do,

>>> Plenty, Red Hat has to do with Fedora same as Novell has to do with
>>> SUSE ;-)
>>>

>> Not really.  RHEL is a completely different distribution with
>> completely different goals than Fedora.  RHEL discussions have very
>> little to do with Fedora.
>>

> RHEL ain't that much different, being that new features/technology
> introduced come from none other than Fedora.

I never said they didn't.  But once it becomes RHEL, very few new
features/technologies will introduced into that codebase.

> So, tell me, why is it, when
> some one on this list, mentions using Fedora on a server for mission
> critical stuff, the immediate response is always, it shouldn't be used &
> RHEL/CentOS is recommended?

For most "Mission Critical" servers, reinstalling ~1 a year is not desired.

>> Novell is a company that produces the SUSE distribution.
>>

> No kidding, that was merely an example to show the relationship between
> Red Hat/Fedora & that same relationship between Novell/SUSE.

The post wasn't about "Red Hat" the company, it was about RHEL, the
distribution.

>>> Perhaps some Fedora users are interested in Red Hat's enterprise
>>> offerings for stability & support?
>>
>> Then they should be subscribed to the RHEL lists.  Should everyone
>> start posting SUSE, Ubuntu, and Gentoo news here because "some Fedora
>> users are interested in..."?
>
> And, just who are you to be determining who should be subscribed to what
> lists?

Different lists are created so that the people interested in a particular
topic can have a list to discuss it.  Over generalizing the list (you
know, like posting stuff about a completely different distribution) will
just lead to this list becoming a bigger mess than it is already.

> It ain't my call to say what's posted to this list.

It is when you're hitting the send button.

--
William Hooper