problems with a Linksys 54G Wireless card

David Desscan ddesscan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 10:43:47 UTC 2006

Hi Scott

Within each interface configuration files, the following values are common:

   -

   BOOTPROTO=*<protocol>*, where *<protocol>* is one of the following:

    -

      none — No boot-time protocol should be used.
      -

      bootp — The BOOTP protocol should be used.
      -

      dhcp — The DHCP protocol should be used.
      -

   BROADCAST=*<address>*, where *<address>* is the broadcast address.
   -

   DEVICE=*<name>*, where *<name>* is the name of the physical device
   (except dynamically-allocated PPP devices where it is the *logical
   name*).
   -

   IPADDR=*<address>*, where *<address>* is the IP address.
   -

   NETMASK=*<mask>*, where *<mask>* is the netmask value.
   -

   NETWORK=*<address>*, where *<address>* is the network address.
   -

   ONBOOT=*<answer>*, where *<answer>* is one of the following:

    -

      yes — This device should be activated at boot-time.
      -

      no — This device should not be activated at boot-time.
      -

   USERCTL=*<answer>*, where *<answer>* is one of the following:

    -

      true — Non-root users are allowed to control this device.
      -

      false — Non-root users are not allowed to control this device.

Apart from the "3D" in your values which I find weird, should the script not
be :/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*ifcfg-wlan0 *
Certain parameters can be specific to wireless interface cards like
*IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ESSID="whatever"
KEY="your128bithexkey "*
*CHANNEL=1
MODE=Managed
WPA=yes

*

I have not covered all of the parameters you mentioned but with the above
you should be able to get things done. I am not an expert but always
learning ;-)
Good Luck and Rgds

David