TV out ( SOLVED )

redhatdude at bellsouth.net redhatdude at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 14 20:47:06 UTC 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Tod Merley wrote:

> On 9/14/06, redhatdude at bellsouth.net <redhatdude at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 14, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Tod Merley wrote:

>> monitor
>> connector in
>> someone tell
>> computer. It's

>> list
>> >>
>> > Hi Ej,
>> >
>> > 1. Download the manual from the ATI site (ok, the 9200 is
>> available -
>> > probably close enough).
>> >
>> > 2. Understand your TVs inputs and your ATI card outputs and
>> which cord
>> > you need to properly connect the two.  This must be right.
>> >
>> > 3. Check to see that your driver (Linux drivers available on the
>> ATI
>> > site) is compatable with the video output feature you desire using
>> > your particular X version.  I understand there are some issures
>> with
>> > the most current drivers (ATI site).
>> >
>> > 4. From your Video Card Control Panel (should have installed
>> this when
>> > installing the driver) see that the "enable video out" is enabled.
>> >
>> > Have fun!
>> >
>> > Tod
>> >
>> > Google is our friend.
>> >
>> > --
>>
>> Solved.
>> I downloaded the linux drivers from ATI website. The rpm they have
>> didn't work since it's missing a dependency that yum doesn't install.
>> So I downloaded the 40 mb installer and ran it.
>> I did the following in the terminal.
>> aticonfig --help ( This explains how  to setup your driver for a tv )
>> aticonfig --initial
>> aticonfig --enable-monitor=tv --tv-standard-type=VIDEO
>>
>> and that's it. Start kdm from the console.
>> Selinux needs to be disabled or a new policy created that allows the
>> driver to function. Otherwise X doesn't start.
>>
>> EJ
>>
>> --
>>
> Hi again Ej!
>
> Thanks for the report.  I recently picked up a 16MB video card at a
> used shop (about $3 if I recall) and it has video in/out.  I now enjoy
> the increased screen resolution (1280x1024 @ 32bits) and after this
> exchange will find a cord to test the video out.  We have a new
> camcorder and so the video in may prove useful (USB already is
> useful).
>
> SELinux is certainly on my reading/learning list!  Here is a starter I
> found on the web:
>
> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/writing_SELinux_policy_guide/
> index.html
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Tod
>
> --

I forgot to mention that you should also apply the following.

aticonfig --force-monitor=tv

kill and restart kdm for it to take effect.

As to selinux, enter the following in the terminal:

# /usr/sbin/semanage fcontext -a -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/xorg/
modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
# /sbin/restorecon -v /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drives/fglrx_drv.so

Set it back to enforce if it wasn't. Kill kdm. Reconfigure your X
with aticonfig. Start kdm, it should work with selinux now.