Mysterious problem with sendmail

Mikko Silvennoinen mikko at pwar.net
Thu Sep 14 21:01:01 UTC 2006

Hi Bob !

Bob Taylor wrote:

>I am running FC3. My email has been working just fine until I noticed
>that I wasn't receiving root's mail. Then fetchmail returned an error
>"Access denied" for each mail. I checked every configuration file in my
>mail system even re-installed sendmail with no luck. I started sendmail
>debugging and finally noticed during sendmails conversation (after HELO)
>that it returned the error "service not available". I finally decided to
>re-install without wiping my partitions. Mail is now working again with
>the same configuration files except mail from tcpwrappers seems to be
>rejected. Don't know *why*
>
>Any thoughts on this mystery is greatfully welcome.
>
>BTW, FC is moving to fast for me on a dial up so I have been waiting for
>RH to announce v5 so I can install Centos. I really like Fedora but my
>pipe is too small and my ISP doesn't like for me to tie up a modem line.

I run FC4 and it works fine. Check that the sendmail service is running.
I use Thunderbird for reading root's mail.
I have nothing more than basic installation and making sure sendmail is
running.
When I read mail, I am logged in as root.
Thunderbird account settings:
Server Type: Unix Movemail
Server Name: localhost
User name: root
Local directory: /root/.thunderbird/5jygzv2e.default/Mail/localhost

Cheers
Mikko Silvennoinen