hostname doesn't stick

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 16 13:57:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 07:59 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Despite the warning, I always make changes here.  I split that line into two entries:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain
> 192.168.0.xx    arrakis.homelinux.org arrakis
> (adjusting the IP of course to your box's own).

The rather badly worded warning is about how the first line should be
precisely:

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost

For some reason, Fedora likes to put the machine name into the 127.0.0.1
line, sometimes, despite all the problems that it can cause.  But yours
seems to be missing the "localhost" alias.  I can imagine that causing
you some problems.

If you're referring to splitting the hostname off from the 127.0.0.1
line and putting it down onto the 192.168. line, that'd be the normal
thing to do.  With that warning being utterly confusing, as you have no
example of what it should be.  It's as stupid as "don't touch until the
paint is dry", signs.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.