Re: hostname doesn't stick

From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au>
On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 07:59 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
Despite the warning, I always make changes here.  I split that line into two entries:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.xx    arrakis.homelinux.org arrakis
(adjusting the IP of course to your box's own).

The rather badly worded warning is about how the first line should be
precisely:

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost

For some reason, Fedora likes to put the machine name into the 127.0.0.1
line, sometimes, despite all the problems that it can cause.  But yours
seems to be missing the "localhost" alias.  I can imagine that causing
you some problems.

Did you do something silly like modify /etc/sysconfig/network? What
does it currently say? It should say:
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

If not you did something to modify it and you have localhost being
renamed. Otherwise you may have nasty little spirits camping out
digitally on your machine.

{o.o]