Where are smbmounts mounted?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 21:51:31 UTC 2006

From: "Aaron Konstam" <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>

> On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 13:45 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 09:47 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> > If one does a smbmount using Places -> Connect to server (or from
>> > Nautilus) where is the Windowa share mounted? In other words where
>> > could it be found for command line commands?
>>
>> I don't think they are mounted.  You're talking through the Nautilus
>> program using the SMB protocol, directly.
>>
>> It's a bit like asking where a FTP site gets mounted when you connect to
>> it with a FTP client.  It isn't, and you can't access it with some other
>> program through the directory tree, unless you've got some *other*
>> system that does mount it onto the tree.
>>
> What you say makes sense, especially since under Places the option is
> Connect to server, not mount from server.
>
> But that leaves a mystery. The man page of mount indicates the existence
> of a mount.smbfs (which does not seem to exist). Then there is smbmount
> which I thought used to exist but I can't find it in the distribution.
> The implication is that you can mount a file share. Can you? And if you
> can , how do you do it?

It mounts where YOU tell it to mount. Two different examples below:
mount -t cifs -o username=squab,password=asdfdfgf //spoo/oops\ \(d\) cifs
mount -t smbfs -o username=bezort,password=zsddfsdf //spoo/c smbfs

The first like uses the newer cifs formats to mount the directory oops
on machine named spoo as username squab with password asdfdfgf to a
preexisting directory called oops.

The second line is similar with regards to the older (does not do
really large files) smbfs.

The FM for samba exists on several man pages as well as /usr/share/docs.
It's suggested reading.

{^_^}