hostname doesn't stick

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Sep 17 07:48:47 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> I am feeling motivated to bugzilla that the useless "do not change the
>>> first line" warning, that doesn't give no example, ought to be changed.
>
> jdow:
>> Don't not do that.
>
> Yes, I saw that just as I pressed the send button.  ;-)  Doing too many
> things at once.  It should have said that doesn't give "any" example.
>

> We don't need no education...

Hummm....  I'm not so sure about that either.  :-)

You previously used the phrase "should be precisely like this".  However,
"should" implies that it preferred but not mandatory, as in "must".  There
is no indication in your suggested phrase change that negative consequences
would or could result upon failure to heed the suggestion.

Also, I would question the use of "should" and "precisely" in the same
sentence.

Even then, I feel it is likely that some people will be convinced and take
the message literally and conclude the first line "must" read:

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost

and that is certainly not the case.

--
Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty sure to be a crime to
examine the laws of heat.