Re: hostname doesn't stick

On Sunday 17 September 2006 05:22, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 14:41 -0700, jdow wrote:
> > NEVER change localhost as a name.
>
> I am feeling motivated to bugzilla that the useless "do not change the
> first line" warning, that doesn't give no example, ought to be changed.
>
> This:
>
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
>
> Which may well appear above an already modified first line, is utterly
> useless to those unfamiliar with the hosts file.  It could be better
> written as:
>
> # The first uncommented line of the hosts file should be precisely
> # like this:  127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> It would also be a good idea that even for standalone PCs (those not on
> a LAN), that *another* non-127.0.0.1 line should be added for its own
> hostname, by whatever automatic process usually stuffs up the local
> loopback address line.  It could be another 127. subnet address, or one
> of the various private IP scheme addresses.

Adding the local hostname seems to be a Fedora thing, and I see no good reason
for it.  I would like to see the first line being the localhost line only.
Where static IP has been set up the second line could, and I think should, be
added to reflect that.

If you BZ the problem, please report the # and I'll vote for it.

Anne