hostname doesn't stick

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 17 09:46:19 UTC 2006

From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>

> Adding the local hostname seems to be a Fedora thing, and I see no good
> reason
> for it.  I would like to see the first line being the localhost line
> only.
> Where static IP has been set up the second line could, and I think
> should, be
> added to reflect that.

Erm, you know the song from Fiddler on the Roof that goes, "Tradition
tradition!" That's what the contents of the hosts file are mostly.
SvR4 was the first 'ix I played with. (Yeah, I have one of the only
copies for the Amiga that ever escaped captivity - if the tape is
still readable somehow.)

It was used to let the Ethernet interface know what address to use
as it came up. It could parse the file, look for the first line that
was NOT "localhost" and get its address from that. (I don't remember
any of the sysconfig structure being there. But memory of using it is
VERY hazy. That IS where the bind files I use today have their roots,
though. I got DNS working on that for a set of 3 or 4 Amigas up in
the computer room. The UNIX machine was down in the livingroom with
a second computer at the end of a coax cable.)

{^_^}   Joanne