Dual Boot with WinXP

Because of other commitments I need to keep 30gigs wasted on Micro$.
I have a 60 gig Maxtor hard drive with a 10 gig partition for the Win OS
and 20 gig for win programs, this leaves room for 30 gigs of Linux.
I have tried with several distributions of Linux and all recognize the
10 gig boot partition but roll the remaining into a single partition.
How do I set up a dual boot and not affect the part reserved for
windows.  Yes I would prefer to just do a clean install of Linux but
that is not possible in this case as even reformatting and reinstalling
the windows part is not practical.