Dynamic IP script output from df or mount formatting problem.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Sep 17 21:31:39 UTC 2006

Paul Ward wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been playing with a script that works out your WAN / external
> IP address then uploads it to a web site every hour, so when I am at
> work and my provider changes my IP address I can look up what it has
> changed too.
>
> This script has been rewritten several times now and I now have an
> html generated page that is starting to be functional with other
> useful info HOWEVER,
>
> I cannot get the output from a df, mount or even fdisk to work as html
> because the text output from the commands contain no end of line
> control codes so instead of the output looking like
>
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda3              8854472   7175844   1221580  86% /
> /dev/hda1               101086     21616     74251  23% /boot
> tmpfs                   127908         0    127908   0% /dev/shm
>
> it looks like this with a word wrap, can any one show me how this is
> resolved with a small script or command to pipe it though.
>
> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/hda3 8.5G 6.9G 1.2G
> 86% / /dev/hda1 99M 22M 73M 23% /boot tmpfs 125M 0 125M 0% /dev/shm
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

The problem is not that there are not end of the line control codes.
The problem is that the end of line codes are text and not html.
There are a couple of ways around this. One is to enclose the output
in <pro></pre> tags. The other it to change the type from text/htm
to text/plain and not use any html tags. That works if you are
enclosing the output of the command in a cgi script, and there is no
 html mixed in. Remember, in html, just because you started a new
line in your typing, it does not signal a new line in the output.
and </pre> tag to tell the browser not to mess with the formatting.

Mikkel