something wrong with hal and udev in FC5

Hello,

Is something the matter with hal and/or udev in FC5? For the life of me, I am not able to get an external USB DVD writer (/dev/scd0) give me an icon on the desktop if I put some disc in it. The internal writer and reader (/dev/hdc and /dev/hdd) work as expected.

Can anybody who has an external usb writer confirm is he can get an icon on the desktop? I am using Gnome on FC5 with 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 kernel.

->HS