local yum repository

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Sep 19 15:32:28 UTC 2006

adel.essafi at laposte.net wrote:
> Dear all
> I have installed a local yum repository.
> When trying to list the list all available packages, I got this.
> I have checked that repomd.xml exists on the right place and that the
> webserver works fine.
> I don't guess what the problem is? Could you help?
> Adel
>

> [adel at localhost ~]$ yum list available
> Setting up repositories
> base                                                                 [1/2]
> Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: base
> Cannot find repomd.xml file for base
> Error: Cannot find repomd.xml file for base
> [adel at localhost ~]$
>

> cat /etc/yum.conf
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> keepcache=0
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=redhat-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=1
> obsoletes=1
> gpgcheck=1
> plugins=1
> metadata_expire=1800
>
> # PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
> # in /etc/yum.repos.d
> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> #mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$re
> leasever
> baseurl=http://192.168.1.237/yum/$releasever/$basearch/updates/
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://192.168.1.237/yum/$releasever/$basearch/os/
> #mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releaseve
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1

> http://mail2web.com/ .

Assuming standard locations:
After each rsync you need to rebuild the repo data:
/usr/bin/createrepo -q /var/www/html/yum/5/i386/os

This one may also be 'wrong' depending on how you retrieved it.  It may
actually need to be:
/usr/bin/createrepo -q /var/www/html/yum/5/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS
You would need to adjust your yum.conf file in that case.

In any case, use createrepo to rebuild the repository data after every
update of the repository.

# yum install createrepo