Re: Automatic way of applying the same command to a bunch of files

Paul Smith wrote:
On 9/20/06, Andy Green <andy warmcat com> wrote:
>> 12\ Missa\ brevis\ in\ G,\ KV\ 140App,\ C1.\ 12\ Agnus\ Dei.wav
>
> Perhaps the best strategy is to eliminate all '\' and then use "$i".
> However, I do not know how to implement it.

No Paul Howarth's method was best, the problem is probably coming from
the commas.  For example, can you do the sox by hand with that filename
even?

Yes, I can, Andy.

Hm well this works for me with the filename

$ ls *.wav
12 Missa brevis in G, KV 140App, C1. 12 Agnus Dei.wav

for i in *\ * ; do sox "$i" -r 44100 -t wav "output_$i" ; done

You need the -t otherwise sox gets confused trying to work it out from the suffix; because it contains dots in the file part it complains that the type " 12 Agnus Dei.wav" is unknown without -t.

-Andy