Kernel 2.6.18 + HAL

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Wed Sep 20 21:46:42 UTC 2006

Frank Elsner wrote:
> I'm still running FC3 and today I wanted to replace my self-configured
>                       kernel 2.6.17 with the brandnew 2.6.18.
>
> Kernel 2.8.18 works like a charme with one exeption:
>
> With kernel 2.6.18 hald (hal-0.4.7-1.FC3) refuses to run.
> Starts but exits immediatly to unknown reasons with no info in /var/log/messages.
>

> Anybody with the same problem out there?
> Any Pointer to solve or at least analyze the problem welcome.
>
> --Frank Elsner

Broken here also.

I seem to recall reading on the kernel developers list that 2.6.18
needs a fairly new hald; I think they changed the format of the /sys
directories and the old hald can't handle it. Perhaps Dave Jones can
hit us with a clue stick. I don't run hald myself (and I don't miss it).

You can try running "strace /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no" and see if you
can determine where it's failing. Mine fails with a segmentation fault
after doing a readlink.

See freedesktop.org for the latest hald sources if you want to roll
your own update.

Regards,

John