Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 21 07:25:41 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I have a computer science class mate who is interested in switching to
> Linux, starting small with installing it and dual booting. He fits the
> type that should be able to switch easiy: non-hardcore gamer, non
> hardcore multimedia.
>
> My question to the list is could you compare and contrast Fedora and
> Ubuntu so that I may pass on the information so that he may make a
> choice himself?

Umm, unless he wants to make installing his OS into a hobby, I
recommend almost anything over Fedora. I'm not familiar with
Ubuntu, but I am with Debian. If he just wants to install and
run, then IMO Debian is better. AIUI, Ubuntu is somewhat a spin-
off of Debian, with some extras in some ways, and supposedly
made a little easier for users of the Other Operating System
to make a transition to.

> I have only ever used Fedora (was Redhat 7,8,9 before) so I am unable
> to do that. However, Ubuntu seems to be very popular. So I figure that
> to be fair, I should present him with my choice, and the aparent
> popular choice, with arguement for-against both if possible.

Why only Ubuntu?

Here's my suggestion, and the one I gave to my girlfriend.

Get some LiveCDs and run several distro's, and pick one
you like. Have a look here

Download some ISO images, burn some CDROMs,
and try a few. The ones she liked best was Knoppix and Kanotix,
both of which are Debian based, so that's what she installed.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.