Re: ripping FAQ

On 20/09/06, Phil Meyer <pmeyer themeyerfarm com> wrote:

First, make sure you have the 'good stuff' from the livna repositories:

sudo rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm

sudo yum install gstreamer\*

run soundjuicer and edit preferences
from the preferences, edit profiles
add a profile called mp3
under gstreamer pipeline:
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=extreme
Look at the lame man page for mp3 lossy levels -- I prefer the extreme
setting, but I am a bit fussy about this.

As an aside, there are certainly (fairly serious) bugs in
gstreamer's creation of Ogg/Vorbis files (which I why I
don't use it), and I seem to remember that there are
also problems with creating mp3.
Grip is much easier to troubleshoot since you can
investigate at each stage of the rip more easily.

--
imalone