Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 14:26:15 UTC 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 06:39, Scott wrote:

> Seriously, I find OS arguments (be it Fedora vs Debian, Linux vs
> Windows, BSD vs Linux...) stupid and childish.
>
> Everybody has their preferences but they don't need to shove their
> opinion down everyone's throat.

My£0.02-worth :-)

While some say that Ubuntu, Mandriva or PCLinuxOS are more newbie-friendly,
it's worth bearing in mind that most people come to computing with friends on
tap for hand-holding.  Those of us that have come to linux depending on lists
like this are generally more confident (maybe more competent, too?) but it is
very likely that your friend will feel in real need of help in the early
stages.

I think, therefore, that your comfort-level in supporting a different distro
has to be borne in mind.  I'm not saying you couldn't - there will be more
similarities than differences - but you may not wish to take on an extra
layer of responsibility.

Anne