Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 21 14:30:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 21 September 2006 06:39, Scott wrote:
> >
> > Seriously, I find OS arguments (be it Fedora vs Debian, Linux vs
> > Windows, BSD vs Linux...) stupid and childish.
> >
> > Everybody has their preferences but they don't need to shove their
> > opinion down everyone's throat.
> >
> My£0.02-worth :-)
>
> While some say that Ubuntu, Mandriva or PCLinuxOS are more
> newbie-friendly, it's worth bearing in mind that most people come to
> computing with friends on tap for hand-holding.  Those of us that
> have come to linux depending on lists like this are generally more
> confident (maybe more competent, too?) but it is very likely that
> your friend will feel in real need of help in the early stages.
>
> I think, therefore, that your comfort-level in supporting a
> different distro has to be borne in mind.  I'm not saying you
> couldn't - there will be more similarities than differences - but
> you may not wish to take on an extra layer of responsibility.

not sure if this was mentioned already but, at the risk of sounding
overly shallow and capitalistic, you might consider which linux distro
is going to have more value on your resume.

if there's a single distro that *clearly* has advantages for what you
want to do immediately, by all means, choose that one.  but, *** all
things being equal *** and if comes down to a coin flip, you might
want to go with the distro for which there are more posted jobs.

just my $0.02.

rday