Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Sep 21 20:16:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 16:03 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Thufir wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:39:39 -0700, Scott wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >>And if I had to make a choice, I'd pick Ubuntu myself. I prefer APT over
> >>YUM.  YUM has some good features but the slowness of it drives me nuts.
> >>I also like seing my downloads in the console or using the Snaptic GUI
> >>app). YUMEX or KYum don't even come close to Synaptic.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Why does, to my knowledge, only livna offer an rpm which configures the
> > livna repository?  Other repositories don't seem to offer an RPM for their
> > respective repository.

I do for my own personal repo and also for the pptp client and server
repos. As does freshrpms.

The fedora-release package in Fedora Core follows the same format, and
is I believe what inspired the others.

> I think if Fedora can get yum straightened out, make is faster (it *can*
> be done, you know, apt is faster),

yum will be much faster in FC6 as it has a metadata parser written in C
rather than python.

>  make it more featureful and stable
> and make sure that all rpms conform to one format so that rpms from
> different repositories do not conflict,

That's a big ask. Fedora repositories are maintained by different
independent groups of people; the debian way is all one big repository.
To get all of the repos to not conflict, you would need all of them to
work together and agree on policies, procedures etc. It's just not human
nature that that's going to happen anytime soon IMHO. On the other hand,
Extras grows every day, so maybe all people will need in the future is
Extras plus one more repo for non-free stuff.

Paul.